Federal disabled workers have the right to request a reasonable accommodation from their employer. If you are a federal worker and need your employer to make accommodations for your disability to succeed in your role, you can file a reasonable accommodation. Our nationwide federal employment law attorneys explain how you can apply for a reasonable accommodation.

Federal Workers & Reasonable Accommodation

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a disability unless it poses a direct threat to the safety of others in the workplace. All state and government employers with more than 15 workers are covered under the ADA. Common forms of accommodations include a change to the work environment or the way the job is performed.

Requesting Reasonable Accommodations

Most reasonable accommodations involve an in-depth review of the job requirements and the limitations or performance problems the employee with a disability has. You will need to demonstrate that specific changes or modifications will allow you to perform essential duties for your job.

Although you don’t need to request reasonable accommodation in writing, it is advised to do so. With the help of an experienced attorney, you can create a written request that clearly illustrates why you need accommodations made to your workplace, role, or schedule. Having your request in writing can be useful in case any disputes arise. Creating a written request is only the first step to the process. Your employer may request relevant medical documentation to verify your disability.

Experienced Federal Reasonable Accommodation Attorneys

If you are a disabled federal employee with a mental or physical disability and require accommodations in the workplace, our team at Pines Federal is dedicated to helping you with federal claim filing procedures to obtain the outcome you desire. With over 60 years of combined experience, our federal employment lawyers have a comprehensive understanding of state and federal laws to help you through any legal complexities.

Contact our federal reasonable accommodation lawyers today at (800) 801-0598 to schedule a consultation!