| Read Time: 2 minutes | Disabled Government Employees

Federal employees are entitled to request a reasonable accommodation from their employer if they have a qualifying disability, thanks to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Unfortunately, employers sometimes do refuse valid requests for reasonable accommodations. Our nationwide federal employment law attorneys explain what you can do if your reasonable accommodation was denied.

Interactive Process

The first thing you should do if you want to request reasonable accommodation is to engage in discussion with your employer about your request. Your employer should then review the accommodation request, and they should obtain a written medical release from you. They may also ask you to provide appropriate documentation from your health care to determine the severity of your disability.

Create a Paper Trail of Your Request

If your employer refuses to provide you with a response to your reasonable accommodation request or if they denied the request, there are a few things you can do to help your case. For example, if your employer is ignoring your verbal requests, you should consider requesting a reasonable accommodation through a written letter or email. Having a paper trail will help your attorney document your employer’s failure to take action when you requested a reasonable accommodation. You can also notify your human resources department to ensure that there is more than one person aware of your reasonable accommodation request.

Contact an Experienced Federal Employment Law Attorney

Once you have the documentation you need to demonstrate that you requested a valid, reasonable accommodation that was denied, you should consider contacting a federal employment law attorney. An attorney will be able to give you legal advice on the next steps of your case. They can either help you refine your request or analyze your case to determine the likelihood of success if you file a claim against your employer for discrimination.

The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the ADA, along with state and federal laws, prohibits employers from discriminating against employees because of their disability. If your federal employer fails to provide you with the reasonable accommodation that you deserve, they are in violation of those laws.

Get In Touch With Our Team at Pines Federal!

If your reasonable accommodation request was denied, our team at Pines Federal could review your case to determine if your employer has wronged you. With more than 50 years of combined experience, our federal employment law attorneys provide exceptional legal services to a wide range of diverse individuals who hold federal occupations nationwide. We are backed by extensive experience and a track record of success.

If you are looking for skilled representation, contact our federal employee attorneys today at (800) 801-0598!

Author Photo

Eric L. Pines is a nationally recognized federal employment lawyer, mediator, and attorney business coach. He represents federal employees and acts as in-house counsel for over fifty thousand federal employees through his work as a federal employee labor union representative.

Rate this Post
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars